Terence P. O'Connor
Terry O’Connor is a 1980 graduate of St. Lawrence University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Omicron Delta Kappa. In pursuing his B.S. degree, he also attended the University of Copenhagen in Copenhagen, Denmark. Terry received his J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law School in 1983. Terry is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell and was recently recognized by the Best Lawyers in America consumer guide. He has also been recognized as one of the top 50 upstate New York lawyers by Super Lawyers consumer guide.
Terry is a trial lawyer who defends physicians, manufacturers and small businesses among others. In defending physicians, he has handled cases ranging from licensing proceedings to wrongful death cases to birth trauma cases. In the manufacturing field, his experience includes the defense of automobile manufacturers and manufacturers of ordinary household products.
An appointed member of the New York State Bar Association Committee on Medical Malpractice, Terry has served in the past as an arbitrator and he frequently lectures on trial practice as well as medical/legal issues for the New York State Bar Association, Albany Law School and the Albany Medical Center Hospital. In the past Terry served as a member on the Council on Peer Review for the Dental Society of the State of New York.
Click here to visit my LinkedIn page.
To see a history of Terry's verdicts and settlements CLICK HERE.
- New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1985
- Vermont, 2013
- Notre Dame Law School, Notre Dame, Indiana
- J.D. - 1983
- St Lawrence University, Canton, New York
- B.S. magna cum laude - 1980
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Omicron Delta Kappa
- University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark - 1978
- Power Advocacy: Achieving Maximum Jury Impact During Trial, New York State Bar Association
- Practical Skills Basic Civil Practice: The Trial, New York State Bar Association
- Expert Testimony in Federal Court After Daubert and New Rule 26-From Discovery Through Trial, New York State Bar Association, May 21, 1997
- Medicine in the Courtroom, New York State Bar Association, December 12, 1997
- Cross Examining Plaintiff's Experts in Federal Court, New York State Bar Association
- How to Handle a Neck and Back Injury Case, New York State Bar Association, November 20, 1998
- Jury Selection Techniques: The Basics for the Civil Practitioner, New York State Bar Association, May 14, 1999
- Proving and Defending Damages, New York State Bar Association, June 4, 1999
- Risk Management Course, Dental Society of New York, Third and Fourth Districts and the Greater New York Dental Conference
- Lecturer, Trial Practice and Medical/Legal Issues, New York State Bar Association
- Lecturer, Trial Practice and Medical/Legal Issues, Albany Law School
- Lecturer, Trial Practice and Medical/Legal Issues, Albany Medical Center Hospital
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, Albany, NY - 2017
- Super Lawyers 2015 - Upstate New York Medical Malpractice Defense
- Super Lawyers Top 10 Upstate New York Attorneys 2015
- Super Lawyers Top 10 Upstate New York Attorneys 2014
- Named Best Lawyers' 2014 Albany Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named Best Lawyers' 2013 Albany Product Liability Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- 2011 President’s Award – Albany County Bar Association
- Super Lawyers Top 10 Upstate New York Attorneys 2008
- New York Super Lawyers – Top 50 Upstate New York Lawyers 2007
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Rated-Very High to Preeminent
- Best Lawyers of America Consumer Guide
- Continuing Excellence Award – Defending the Specialty of Oral Surgery
- Federal Court Mediator, Appointed by Hon. Frederick J. Scullin, Jr.
- Chair, Albany County Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee
- OMS National Insurance Company Attorney of the Year
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Committee on Medical Malpractice
- American Bar Association, Member
- Albany County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Center for Disability Services, Board of Directors, Chair
- Siena College, Board of Associate Trustees
- Albany County Hospice, Wave Runner Program for Children of Cancer Patients
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute Boston Marathon, fundraising/Jimmy Fund
- Tri-Village Little League, Board Member/Secretary